Reviewing the New MLB Postseason Format

                                                              

There's not many days off this

time around.

Let's give a little perspective

on this.

Now, go back to 2009 if you've

forgotten this, it's long ago

for some people john not us, but

2009, the new york Yankees had a

big three CC Sabathia, A.J.

Burnett and Andy Pettitte of

course 2009 Yankees with three

starters playing 15 games in 29

days, won a World Series

championship.

Now you're talking about that

real horses then, but again

playing a month, basically 15

games, 15 and 29 the Mets, if

they get through in the wild

card, al Leiter will start with

, you could be playing 15 games

in 19 days, eight games and 10

days wildcard division series if

they have to play them all a day

off and then seven out of eight

for the LCS.

I know this is partially lockout

induced to, but until the wild

card was also put into, hey,

let's get this series underway.

We don't want to put the top

seeds on ice and kind of a

disadvantage to the lower seeds.

Hey, you made the wild card too

bad burnout, You're pitching

staff and your top seeds get a

bit of an advantage, but your

take on that run, which is

especially difficult in the

national.

Yeah, I mean as you were just

showing CC with the 09 Yankees,

I was thinking about a one with

what Schilling and randy johnson

, you can really focus on the

front, two guys, you and Mike

Hampton actually, if you're the

front loaded rotation, you can

keep rolling out big guys.

So so back to like you saying,

hey, how cool would this be to

just win the pennant?

You go on the World Series like

that, that no, but like this but

this, I get it like this kind of

like you know what, you have a

number four starter man man,

reward that club for having the

depth of the Dodgers or the mets

and using everybody in your

bullpen, that guy that you never

go to the fifth inning guy, nope

, he's doing real work.

We talk about often how You know

how September baseball used to

be different with 40 man rosters

and all that.

Like let's keep the playoffs

where you got these managers in

these front offices of trying to

figure out how do we manage

through and having the depth of

that's necessary that we had to

do with in September and August

anyway.

I think that's why I think the

tweet of laura Albanese is

interesting because if there

might be one team that has the

depth in starting rotation, it

would be the mess, they would

have the capable because you

have a Taiwan walker behind the

Chris Bassitt even if you needed

a cookie carrasco, they have the

deepest rotation as far as guys

that can go deep in the games

and give you some swing and miss

stuff, but at the same time I

look at, you've got to win the

first two games, like there's no

, there's no doubt.

There's no easy road when you're

coming out of the wild card.

That first game has to be one

that second has to be one.

And also we saw last week that

it's not easy to just say, let

me throw one and two against the

braves or whoever it maybe you

still might get be.

Now that's if you win game one,

you might do that.

But is this strategy too Cute?

Yeah, I do think that's too

cute.

I have heard that as a

possibility.

I do think it does feel like

they are leaning toward Scherzer

in Game one.

It's not official.

So I saw bucks reaction and I

believe that it's probably

accurate that they're going to

save the Graham.

I don't see that strategy making

any sense is still going to

pitch one game and that next in

the division series, whether you

save him or don't save him, he's

still going to get one game.

It's a five game series.

Right?

So he's getting one game either

way.

Right?

So I don't get that.

I'd rather get that first series

over with one thing to keep in

mind.

Do think it gives advantage to

the teams with depth, but not

only series are going the

distance.

So you might have more off days

than were mapping out here.

True or you could do that.

Give me some that is, this is,

that's a very analytics new

school of thinking getting cute

savior big guy for game three,

the deciding game or you could

get him game one for the next

series, but you're getting kind

of cute al Well are we?

I don't know.

I'm thinking about in 2000 world

Series with the Mets, joe Tory

held back Andy Pettitte, I think

he was the hottest pitcher and

joe always talked about game

three being the pivotal.

Obviously if you're up to you

Game two And you know, to be

able to have that guy to either

right the ship or really beria

team.

I don't know how cute it is

because john, you said no matter

whether you pitch game two in

this wildcard series, you're

gonna get one start in the

division series.

So for what you said about the

Mets, let's just stay on the

Mets.

You know Bassett, I know, I know

he had a clunker down.

So if I'm banking, I'm not, I'm

not going significantly off the

cliff.

I win game one and I pitch

Bassett, either pitch whoever is

to shares or deGrom you win or

you lose.

You got basket on sunday.

So it's either basket on

saturday or sunday and you have

a chance to get to and oh and

either have you either have a

deGrom or shares are waiting

Game one.

If you get to Graham Game one

going in the division series?

You might get him again going

later on in that division

series.

Can't you get him again?

Let me see if you get the

division because you have a day

off after the second day you

would Your division.

Yeah.

Your game one start.

They handle him with care.

I think they handle him with

care.

I don't I don't think you

realize what you're saying.

You're saying you're not

believing in momentum.

I'm just saying you guys are ex

players and you're telling me, I

don't believe you get a game one

, win your foot on their throat

and eliminate those guys number

one and you're not doing it.

No, no, I'm going to hold him

off because maybe I can use him

in the next series.

You guys ex players are telling

me that.

No, but if I was going to a

triple A a pitcher, no, I

wouldn't do that.

It really wouldn't matter on the

roster.

I'm saying you're against trying

to think about the logic that

they might be thinking about.

I hear jim Leyland the back of

my head right now.

I don't manager for tomorrow.

I'm managing for today.

I might not be here tomorrow.

I'm with I'm with Leland but I

do think bastards pretty good.

He's actually been better than

the Graham lately.

So that huge difference to get

in front office wonky right now.

Comments